Recent Posts

Archive

Tags

No tags yet.
  • Fred

Hinges and finishing.


Just a quick update on the first aid box. I cut the hinge mortises today. This took longer than it probably could have, as I decided to cut the mortises without using the router. I then decided to use the router for the second half which went much more quickly. Here's a photo of the first set on the box.

Here's the second set on the door.

After fitting everything together, I took it all apart again to get ready for finishing. While doing this, I broke off one of the hinge screws in the screw hole never to be retrieved. So, there was a slight detour to drill a new hole in the hinge and then drill a new matching hole in the box. Now one of the hinges will have three holes and two screws. No biggie.

I'm finishing the project with Danish Oil. I've just started using this stuff and so far I like it. It's a combination of either tung oil or boiled linseed oil and varnish. It's pretty easy to apply. Just wipe on, let it sit for a while and wipe off (Karate Kid style).

I'll post more tomorrow. Hopefully, the project will be complete. All that's left is to assemble everything and put on the french cleat. Then I can start to load it up with supplies.